Chalkboard Wall

Monday, November 4, 2013

I've wanted to do a chalkboard wall in our home forever but as you will see from the photos, our walls are very heavily textured and I didn't think I would be able to write on them. 

But I just couldn't stand it anymore.  I really wanted one.  So, I tested it out first with a piece of chalk and tried writing on it, and surprisingly, it was no big deal at all.  Sure it isn't perfectly smooth, but I could write on it and it still looked fine.  That was all I needed to get busy and paint a side and I couldn't be more happy with the results.


Of course, this did inspire a couple of other projects.  Isn't it funny how that always happens.  When my dad died, I inherited some of his wine collection.  He was quite a wine connoisseur and even though some of it is no longer drinkable, I will never get rid of it and I wanted to display some of it proudly.  I also wanted to display it on the wall against the chalkboard wall color.  I looked for a DIY wine rack tutorial and found this one.  I did it a little bit differently in that I didn't use the same size bolts and I also spray painted them oil rubbed bronze because I didn't care for the color of them. 

Because we already had the barn wood, this project cost me less than $5 because all I had to buy was the bolts for .38 each.  How great is that?  I absolutely love how it turned out.



I've had a lot of emails asking where we bought our light fixture in the dining room.  I actually don't remember because it was bought 8 years ago when we bought the house.  However, I wasn't happy with it at all because it had frosted glass shades on it that forced the light up onto the ceiling instead of down onto the table for a cozier setting.  For years I just lived with it but I couldn't stand how cold the dining room felt with the light like that so I decided to see if I could just remove the glass shades and sure enough, you could.  I removed them all and added clip on shades from Lowes, which I loved and they made the lighting perfectly cozy.  For this project though, I went a little further and added burlap to each shade to give more texture to the room.


I cut out the fabric, sprayed the shade with spray adhesive, wrapped it and hot glued the rest.  Because I didn't cut it out perfectly, I added a piece of rope to the inside to clean it up a bit.  I just hot glued it on.  It just makes it a little bit neater since you can easily see up under the shade while walking in the dining room.


For the sentiment on the wall here, I printed everything from wordpad on my computer and traced it onto the wall using different fonts.  Yes, it took all day but boy do I love it.  I wish I could remember the name of each font I used but I don't.  Sorry.


I still have a couple more things to add to the wall but I wanted to go ahead a share it now.

I love it!  So if you've been wanting to do a chalkboard wall but thought you couldn't because of the wall texture in your home, I'd say go for it!  :)

Have a great day!

Follow along between posts on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment