Pocket Doors and Porcelain Door Knobs

Thursday, May 31, 2012

When we first found our home, one of the features that we loved the most was the original large pocket door separating the living and dining room.  It was still the original wood before we moved in, as were all the trim and built-ins in the house.  It also came with the original plates and glass door knobs. 

Because we didn't really care for the dark stained wood trim, all of it was painted bright white right away throughout the house, which took weeks but it was so worth it.  The white really made the beautiful trim pop instead of just blending into the wood floor.  And we just loved how the pocket door looked with all the bright white paint.  One of the things we never thought to change was the door knob and backplate.  
 The current one was just not our thing, too Victorian and ornate, but it was one of those details that didn't really seem important so we left it there.  But it always bothered me a little.  I felt it didn't really go with our decor and it made me not really enjoy the pocket door as much as I wanted to.  So, I decided to change that.  I rummaged through my hubby's boxes of found vintage hardware, doorknobs, etc.,
and found some I really loved.
These vintage brass backplates and gorgeous white porcelain door knobs which I just LOVED.  The porcelain doorknobs are heavy (for a door knob) and I love that, too.  The several layers of paint needed to come off the backplates so I grabbed a can of spray stripper.

Warning:  This stuff is super strong and I actually hate using it but it does the job fast.  Use it with care, outside with gloves and a mask.  Here's how they looked after.
I was actually planning to spray paint the backplates with oil rubbed bronze spray paint but I liked them so much after stripping them that I decided to leave them as is.  Hubby and I removed the old hardware and attached these and I LOVE the difference.   (I also gave the pocket door a fresh coat of ultra white paint.)
It may seem like a small detail but sometimes those can make a big difference because we are loving our pocket door much more now.  I love the straight lines of this door knob backplate instead of the ornate look of the other one.
As you can see it is quite large.  We don't shut it often but it certainly comes in handy from 
time to time.  And it really is a beautiful door.

Here's the "before" from the other side.
And after.....
Again, small detail, but big change to us.
I'm so glad I didn't spray paint the backplates.  I'm crazy about this change and think it goes with our home so much more.  And it was FREE!  Now, I guess I better get to work on the other doors.

P.S.  We just repainted our dining room.  If you're interested, the color is called Classic Gray by Benjamin Moore.  :)  The paint on the trim and pocket door is called Ultra White by Valspar.

No comments:

Post a Comment