Spring/Summer Mantel/Ledge

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hey friends!  Yep, I'm late to the Spring Mantel party, but better late than never, right?  I decided to decorate our ledge for both Spring and Summer because, let's face it, I don't have time to do it again in a month.  So here it is....
My starting off point was this amazing green colored soda crate that hubby brought home not long ago and I just went crazy for the color!  That crate kinda inspired the rest of the look, with my main color theme being green and white.
I always try to research the things that my hubby brings home, however, I couldn't find much on this crate, or what K.C. Love is.  If anyone knows what it is, do share!  I kinda went with a picnic theme, too, and brought out a couple of picnic baskets from my picnic basket collection.  I love them as much as I love ironstone and bread boards.  They just make me happy and remind me of fun things I get to do with my hubby and kids, past and present.  :)

I picked up this adorable metal green picnic basket not long ago.  I went nuts for the wood handles combined with the green metal.  I've never been a fan of the all metal variety but this one, with the lovely wood handles, was calling my name.  Love it!
For my main piece of art, I decided to make a sign with this wood/metal thing-a-ma-jig hubby found during Christmas.  We don't know what it is.   It started out like this....
But I decided to give it a new look by sanding it down and stenciling some of our favorite things about summer on it with a vintage set of stencils, also from hubby.  So, now it looks like this...
Everything else, I already had around the house.  I pulled out my favorite ironstone pitchers to display because I love the crisp white color and to add a little farmhouse vibe.  The basket vases of faux greenery, I picked up at a yard sale last year.  I gave them height by placing them on alternating maple and walnut wood scraps that I already had and just cut into squares.  
I made the jar candle lanterns with some old jars I had and wire from the hardware store.  I filled them with fragrant lavender and little tea lights.  Rather than hang them on the hooks on our ledge, I hung them above.  I just thought they looked better there.  I'm hoping to find a summery vintage bag to hang from those lower hooks soon.
I'm totally happy about this Spring/Summer look!  I'm loving the green inspired by that wonderful crate!  And because it's finally Spring!

Wishing you all a wonderful Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment